DISCLAIMER (Revised Fall 2009)
Please read the following before proceeding to the courses!
Are Distance Learning and Online Courses the right choice for you?
Web-Based Classes and Web-Enhanced Classes
Northeast State currently offers many courses via the Internet with new courses being added as they are developed. Other classes are being enhanced via additional materials or communications using the web. Most of our online courses are offered via Desire2Learn (D2L). You must log into My Home within D2L in order to access those courses.
When are Web courses offered
Web-based classes are offered during the same timeframe as the campus semesters. To enroll in an online section, students must have access to their own computer with a graphic web browser and will have to contract with a local provider (not affiliated with Northeast State) for Internet service. If an orientation for the course is not scheduled, contact the instructor by phone or e-mail.
Some Web-based courses include an onsite component, which must be met in order to successfully complete the course. Check with your instructor if you are not sure if your course has such a component.
These components are recognized as necessary for successful completion of an on-line course:
Access to and a good working knowledge of a multimedia computer.
- Do you own or have frequent and convenient access to a multimedia-capable computer?
Minimum specifications: (recommended)
- Pentium 3 450Mhz or higher
- 512 megabytes of RAM or higher
- Windows XP (or higher if possible)
- Communications software (this lets your computer talk to the modem)
- A modem (56k or higher will give you the best performance) (NOTE: A dial-up modem will work for online classes; but response will be extremely slow, and file downloads may take as long as several hours to complete. A dial-up modem is NOT recommended for online course work.)
- Dial-up connectivity may not be sufficient for some content. A DSL or Broadband Cable connection is best
- A dependable Internet service provider (ISP). Any provider will do as long as you get an email account, have access to the Web, and don’t have serious problems connecting
- Sound and video play capabilities
- An up-to-date Internet browser such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox
- Windows Media Play 9
- Is this computer connected to the Internet? (such as AOL or an Internet Service Provider)
- Is this computer able to establish connection to the Internet reliably 80%-90% of the time?
- Do you have a good working knowledge and hands-on experience with word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs? Microsoft Word is the accepted standard for submitting work online. Microsoft Works IS NOT acceptable and may only be used if documents are converted to .rtf format
- Do you have experience using modems and dial-up communications software or using a DSL or cable connection
- A strong working knowledge of how to access the Internet and how to use electronic communication tools is required.
- Can you efficiently use a browser such as Mozilla Firefox without assistance?
- Can you download and upload files via the Internet? (Convert html files to txt or doc files?)
- Can you use compression/decompression programs such as PKUnZip or WINZip?
- Are you familiar with Internet etiquette (“netiquette”) as it applies to email and discussion lists
- Do you have an up-to-date virus detection program on your computer, and do you know how to keep it updated regularly
- Do you have a demonstrated ability to manage your personal time efficiently for use in an independent learning environment
- Have you ever successfully completed a course involving independent learning? (Examples include correspondence, independent study, or other distance learning course
- Are you self-directed and capable of completing assigned tasks with a minimum of supervision?
- Do you see “due dates” as objectives to reach and not “last-minute ordeal dates”?
If you can answer YES to most of the above questions then go to D2L. If you answered NO to more than half of the above questions, please contact your advisor