Most students feel stressed, overwhelmed, or need help juggling college and family life. A professional master's level counselor and graduate-level interns are available to help Northeast State students.
The purpose of Counseling Services is to provide short-term counseling, referral, and resources for college students and to facilitate classroom presentations and workshops to enhance college success. Counseling Services provides:
- Free, short-term counseling, crisis intervention, and referral*
- Free personality assessments such as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to identify strengths and weaknesses that impact college success
- Free resources, individual support, and workshops for students who are parents
- Free referrals to community resources and social services
*Students who have long-term psychiatric needs or issues outside of the expertise of the counselors will be referred to community mental health providers.
Please visit the
Community Resources web page and click on the resource links to view the area's social services.
Confidentiality is a key component of the counseling relationship except in cases when the student expresses harm to self or harm to others. Additional resources may be necessary. To view the Northeast State policy concerning Counseling Services and Informed Consent, click
Suicide Prevention and Awareness
Going to college can be a difficult transition period in which a student may feel lost, lonely, confused, anxious, inadequate, stressed, or depressed. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to take the first step and ask for help. For more information on Suicide Prevention and Awareness, click
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Call 1.800.273.TALK (8255).
- Are you or a loved one facing a mental health crisis? Call 1.877.928.9062 for 24/7 telephone and face-to-face assessments.
- 24-hour crisis hotline support by trained and caring workers
- Advocates on call 24/7 who can meet you at the hospital or police department
- Call 276.466.2218 or 1.866.953.0484