Department of Counseling and Testing Services
Office: Testing Services
Room: C2101, General Studies Building
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
2425 Highway 75, P.O. Box 246, Blountville, TN 37617
Blountville Testing Center
Room: C2106, General Studies Building, Northeast State at Blountville
2425 Highway 75, P.O. Box 246, Blountville, TN 37617
Elizabethton Testing Center
Room: E120, Northeast State at Elizabethton
386 Highway 91 N, Elizabethton, TN 37643
Johnson City Testing Center
Room: J1011, Northeast State at Johnson City
101 E. Market Street, Johnson City, TN 37604
Kingsport Testing Center
Room: BWH135, Blazier-Wilson Hall, Northeast State at Kingsport
222 W. Main Street, Kingsport, TN 37660
All prospective students must submit a Northeast State Application for Admission before scheduling any assessment and placement tests.
Degree-seeking students applying for admission to Northeast State undergo assessment testing in English, Reading, and Algebra to ensure that each student is academically prepared to enter his or her chosen field of study. Students are assessed by either the ACT® or SAT® test or by the
ACCUPLACER® test. ACT and SAT scores must be within five years of the first day of class in order to be valid. Students who did not take the ACT or SAT or whose scores are invalid or do not have college transfer credit in English, Reading, and/or Math from a regionally accredited college or university will take the ACCUPLACER test.
ACT test scores in English, Reading,
and Math are used to determine if students are college ready or if further
assessment is needed.
with an ACT English score of 17 or less are required to take
the ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills test.
with an ACT Reading score of 18 or less are required to take the ACCUPLACER Reading
- Students with an ACT Math score of 18 or less will take the ACCUPLACER Elementary Algebra test.
ACCUPLACER is a computerized test and provides assessment in three areas: Sentence Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Algebra. It is user-friendly, and computer skills are not required to take the test. A test administrator is always available to assist students with
accessing the test. Score results are printed after testing is completed.
Score: 20-91, Placement: Learning Support ENGL 0870
Score: 92-120, Placement: College-Level
Score: 20-84, Placement: Learning Support READ 0870
Score: 85-120, Placement: College-Level
Score: 20-91, Placement: Learning Support MATH 0030, 0530, or 0801
Score: 92-120, Placement: College-Level MATH 1010, 1050, 1100, and 1530
Prepare for the test by using the free ACCUPLACER web-based sample tests on your computer, smartphone, or tablet at https://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org/login. Create an account and select “Classic Practice Tests”.
View sample questions at https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students/accuplacer-tests.
Average times are listed below to help you plan and avoid feeling rushed on test day:
- Demographics (info about yourself) will take 10 - 15 minutes.
- Reading (20 questions) will take 30 - 45 minutes.
- Math (12 questions) will take 30 -45 minutes.
- Sentence Skills (20 questions) will take 30 - 40 minutes.
Keep in mind the test is NOT timed. Some students may take longer or finish more quickly than others. Take your time and read each question carefully. Do not rush.
Students with a disability who need accommodations for testing must meet with the Center for Students with Disabilities, Room C1102 of the General Studies Building, prior to taking the ACCUPLACER. Contact 423.279.7640 for more information.
ACCUPLACER is available on the Blountville, Bristol, Elizabethton, Johnson City, and Kingsport campuses. Testing in Blountville is available several days each week. Testing is available in Johnson City and Kingsport twice a month, but is limited in Bristol and Elizabethton to once
a month during peak months. There is a $5 testing fee for first-time test takers. All test scheduling is completed online. A reminder of your scheduled test date will be sent to your email account. Northeast State also proctors ACCUPLACER for non-Northeast State students who will attend other colleges. The testing
fee is $25 for non-Northeast State students.
- Obtain a Visitor’s Pass from the Welcome Center or Campus Police Office at your campus location. Place the Visitor’s Pass on your car dashboard to avoid receiving a parking ticket.
- PAY the $5 Testing Fee if you have not already done so. The $5 Testing Fee may be paid in cash in the Cashier’s Office (Room P203A) on the second floor of the James Pierce Administration Building on the Blountville campus or at the other Northeast State locations with Testing Centers the same day as the scheduled test.
- A valid photo ID (driver’s license, work or school ID) is required for testing.
- Food or beverages are not allowed at the computer stations and must be stored while in the Testing Center.
- Cell phones must be turned on silent and collected prior to testing. Students will not have access to them during testing or breaks.
- Children are not allowed in the Testing Center and must be under adult supervision while on campus.
- Students who are ill with coughing, high fever, or other contagious symptoms are encouraged to reschedule their tests.
- Honesty is the best policy! The use of unauthorized aids, copying, or any other form of cheating will result in being dismissed from the Testing Center and appropriate action for that test will be taken.
- Students whose behavior is a disturbance to other students will be asked to leave the Testing Center.
- Scratch paper must be turned in before leaving the Testing Center.
- Students who require accommodations (extended time, etc.) must first contact the Center for Students with Disabilities at 423.279.7640.
- Students will be seated as soon as a computer station becomes available.
Students are allowed one retest. Retesting is free of charge. A minimum two-week waiting period is required between tests.
Retesting is not allowed once a student has been enrolled in the required course and attended class.
ACT® is a registered trademark of ACT, Inc. ACCUPLACER® and SAT® are registered trademarks of The College Board.