Department of Counseling and Testing Services
Office: Testing Services
Room: C2101, General Studies Building
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
2425 Highway 75, P.O. Box 246, Blountville, TN 37617
www.NortheastState.edu/Assessment or www.NortheastState.edu/ACCUPLACER
Blountville Testing Center
Room: C2106, General Studies Building, Northeast State at Blountville
2425 Highway 75, P.O. Box 246, Blountville, TN 37617
Elizabethton Testing Center
Room: E120, Northeast State at Elizabethton
386 Highway 91 N, Elizabethton, TN 37643
Johnson City Testing Center
Room: J1011, Northeast State at Johnson City
101 E. Market Street, Johnson City, TN 37604
Kingsport Testing Center
Room: BWH135, Blazier-Wilson Hall, Northeast State at Kingsport
222 W. Main Street, Kingsport, TN 37660
All prospective students must submit a Northeast State Application for Admission before scheduling any assessment and placement tests.
Degree-seeking students applying for admission to Northeast State undergo assessment testing in English, Reading, and Math (Elementary Algebra) to ensure that each student is academically prepared to enter his or her chosen field of study. Students are assessed by either the ACT® or SAT® test or by the ACCUPLACER®
with ACT/SAT Scores
Students with ACT or SAT scores from tests that were taken within five years of the first day of class will be placed into Learning Support and/or college-level courses. Students placed into Learning Support have the option to challenge their placement by taking the ACCUPLACER test.
The assessment test, ACCUPLACER, is not required for enrollment.
ACT Test Scores
- Students with an ACT English score of 17 or less are placed into Learning Support English, ENGL 0870.
- Students with an ACT Reading score of 18 or less are placed into Learning Support Reading, READ 0870.
- Students with an ACT Math score of 18 or less are placed into Learning Support Math, MATH 0803.
Students without ACT/SAT Scores
Students who did not take the ACT or SAT or whose scores are invalid or do not have college transfer credit in English, Reading, and Math from a regionally accredited college or university are required to take the ACCUPLACER test to determine their placement into Learning
Support and/or college-level courses.
ACCUPLACER is a computerized test that provides assessment in three areas: Sentence Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Algebra. It is user-friendly, and computer skills are not required to take the test. You may view sample questions at
A test administrator is always available to assist students with accessing the test. Score results are printed after testing is completed.
Score: 20-91, Placement: Learning Support ENGL 0870
Score: 92-120, Placement: College-Level
Score: 20-84, Placement: Learning Support READ 0870
Score: 85-120, Placement: College-Level
Score: 20-91, Placement: Learning Support MATH 0030, 0530, or 0801
Score: 92-120, Placement: College-Level MATH 1010, 1050, 1100, and 1530
Prepare for the test by using the free ACCUPLACER web-based sample tests on your computer, smartphone, or tablet at https://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org/login. Create an account and select “Classic Practice Tests”.
View sample questions at
For additional math practice, you can set up an account on
EdReady™ using these
Average times are listed below to help you plan and avoid feeling rushed on test day:
- Demographics (info about yourself) will take 5 minutes.
- Reading (20 questions) will take 30 minutes.
- Math (12 questions) will take 30 minutes.
- Sentence Skills (20 questions) will take 30 minutes.
Keep in mind the test is NOT timed. Some students may take longer
or finish more quickly than others. Take your time and read each question
carefully. Do not rush.
Students with a disability who need accommodations for testing must meet with the Center for Students with Disabilities, Room C1102 of the General Studies Building, prior to taking the ACCUPLACER. Contact 423.279.7640 for more information.
ACCUPLACER is available on the Blountville, Elizabethton, Johnson City, and Kingsport campuses. Testing in Blountville is available weekly. Testing is available in Johnson City and Kingsport twice a month, but is limited in Elizabethton to once a month during peak months. There is a $10.00 testing fee for ACCUPLACER. All test
scheduling is completed online. A reminder of your scheduled test date will be sent to your email account. Northeast State also proctors ACCUPLACER for non-Northeast State students who will attend other colleges. The testing fee is $25.00 for non-Northeast State students.
- Bring identification with a photo such as a driver’s license, state ID, or passport.
- Obtain a Visitor’s Pass from the Welcome Center or Campus Police Office at your campus location. Place the Visitor’s Pass on your car dashboard to avoid receiving a parking ticket.
- Pay the $10.00 ACCUPLACER Testing Fee if you have not already done so. The $10.00 fee must paid in cash at the Cashier’s Window on the first floor of the James Pierce Administration Building on the Blountville campus or at the other Northeast State locations with Testing Centers. You can pay the fee on the same day as the scheduled
test. Bring the receipt with you to the Testing Center.
- Limit personal belongings as all items must be stored during testing.
- A valid photo ID is required for testing.
- Food or beverages are not allowed at the computer stations and must be stored while in the Testing Center.
- Cell phones must be turned on silent and collected prior to testing. Students will not have access to them during testing or breaks.
- Children are not allowed in the Testing Center and must be under adult supervision while on campus.
- Students who are ill with coughing, high fever, or other contagious symptoms are encouraged to reschedule their tests.
- Honesty is the best policy! The use of unauthorized aids, copying, or any other form of cheating will result in being dismissed from the Testing Center and appropriate action for that test will be taken.
- Students whose behavior is a disturbance to other students will be asked to leave the Testing Center.
- Scratch paper must be turned in before leaving the Testing Center.
- Students who require accommodations (extended time, etc.) must first contact the Center for Students with Disabilities at 423.279.7640.
- Students will be seated as soon as a computer station becomes available.
Students are allowed one retest. A minimum one-week waiting period is required between tests. Retesting is not allowed once a student has been enrolled in the required course and attended class. Students must pay the $10.00 ACCUPLACER Testing Fee for the retest.
ACT® is a registered trademark of ACT, Inc. ACCUPLACER® and SAT® are registered trademarks of The College Board. EdReady™ is a trademark of the Monterey Institute for Technology and Education (MITE).