Financial Aid Help Center
Northeast State’s Financial Aid Help Center located in room C2406 on the Blountville campus, assists students in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (
FAFSA) online. The Help Center also provides resource information for additional sources of institutional scholarships and external assistance programs. The Financial Aid Help Center exists to help prospective students who have applied for admission to Northeast State as well as current students who are returning for additional terms. The Center is available to help students begin the FAFSA process and locate information. Appointments for FAFSA assistance are required.
What You Need to Bring to Appointment
In order to begin
FAFSA submission, you must determine if you are a dependent or independent student according to FAFSA. Your status will determine the documentation you must bring to your appointment.
Students must bring the following items to the appointment:
FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID). If a dependent student, parent must also have a
FSA ID. An FSA ID may also be obtained during the appointment.
- If you do not currently have an FSA ID, we strongly encourage you to go to www.fsaid.ed.gov to create your FSA ID before scheduling
- The FSA ID is required
to sign your FAFSA.(this
is not your pin created prior to May 10, 2015)
- Once created, it can
take three days before it is accessible on your FAFSA.
- Completing this step now will allow more time to focus on your FAFSA application during your appointment and can prevent rescheduling.
- All appointments MUST bring a copy of 2015 Tax Returns for the 2017-2018 FAFSA and 2016 Tax Returns for 2018-2019 FAFSA in order to manually enter tax information in case the IRS DRT is not functioning. Dependent students must bring student and parent(s) taxes. Independent students must bring student/spouse taxes. Please be prepared to grant permission to the IRS to import your tax information to your FAFSA.
- Copy of 2015 W2s for the 2017-2018 FAFSA and 2016 W2s for 2018-2019 FAFSA. Dependent students must bring student and parent(s) W2s. Independent students must bring student/spouse W2s. **For questions regarding dependent or independent status, please contact the Financial Aid Help Center**
- List of all untaxed income received in the household, child support received and/or paid, VA disability, worker’s compensation, housing allowances, IRA accounts, etc.
- Social Security card.
- If a dependent student, the student must know or have the parental date of marriage/divorce, date of residency, birth dates, and parental Social Security numbers.
- If an orphan or ward of the court, the student must submit documentation.
- If the student or parents have stocks, bonds, CDs, trust fund, real estate, partnerships, etc., please have the net value (fair market value – debt = net value) of each.
- Student and parent e-mail addresses.
For your convenience we have FSA ID, FAFSA and IRS Data Retrieval Tool videos here for your viewing to assist in walking you through those processes. For financial aid questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 423.323.0252.
No mailed, e-mailed, or faxed copies of the above items can be accepted by the Financial Aid Help Center. All documentation must be supplied by the student at the time of the appointment.
FSA ID Quick Tutorial
Speed Up Your Financial Aid Processing by Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
This brief tutorial shows you step-by-step instructions for how to submit corrections on your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
The Financial Aid Help Center is located in Room C2406 in the General Studies Building on Northeast State’s main campus in Blountville. Please email
fahelpcenter@NortheastState.edu for more information.