Note: Effective with the 2013-2014 academic year, Northeast State Community College will no longer be participating in the Direct Loan Program. We appreciate your understanding. Should you need to obtain a student loan to help cover educational expenses, you may consult
an alternative or private lender.
- A credit-based student loan applied for through individual lenders and processed by the institution.
- A student loan to help "bridge the gap" between a student's awarded financial aid and the Cost of Education budget.
- Private Bank/Credit Union student loans that are not processed by the institution are private loans processed directly through a third party bank/credit union. These types of loans do not come through the financial aid office and all information is between the bank and the student.
- Private student loans may be an important source of funding for any students who are in need of funding beyond that which federal programs provide during the year.
- Students can request alternative/private student loans in an amount not to exceed the Cost of Education minus all other accepted financial aid and resources.
- Northeast State recommends that you complete a FAFSA each year to determine your eligibility for Title IV aid.
- Search for a lender by using a search engine and typing in "Alternative Loans". Research each lender carefully to see which one provides the best terms and conditions for you. Apply to the lender directly by completing the application process. Co-signers may be required.
- Once approved, the lender will notify the financial aid office of the approval along with terms.
- All loans are processed in date order.
- Alternative/Private Student loans may have a "right to cancel" stipulation. Please ask your lender about this stipulation.
- All disbursements will be sent from the lender as a check and will include both the student's name and the school name. All disbursements will need to be endorsed by the student and applied to the student's account. Once all Northeast State tuition and fees are paid, any remaining amount will be released to the student during the standard check process.
- Students may be required to pay tuition and fees out of pocket and reimburse themselves once the funds are released. There are no deferments for Alternative/Private Loans.
Private Loan Options
According to Title X of the Higher Education Opportunity Act, education institutions are not permitted to recommend alternative/private lenders to students. The list below is an alphabetical historical list of alternative loan providers that students have used in the past.
Eastman Credit Union
Important Note: Loan providers are listed alphabetically. Order does not indicate any preference or recommendation by Northeast State Community College or the Tennessee Board of Regents system.
- According to Title X of the Higher Education Opportunity Act, educational institutions are not permitted to recommend alternative/private lenders to students.
Federal Direct Consolidation Loan Program (for existing Direct Loan borrowers)
- Exit Counseling
Exit Counseling is required and provides important information you
need to prepare to repay your federal student loan(s). If you have received a subsidized,
unsubsidized or PLUS loan under the Direct Loan Program or the FFEL Program, you
must complete exit counseling each time you: Drop below half-time enrollment, Graduate, Leave School.
Consolidating your federal education loans can simplify your
payments, but it also can result in loss of some benefits.
Learn about consolidation so you can weigh the pros
and cons and decide whether a Direct Consolidation Loan is right for you.A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to consolidate (combine)
multiple federal education loans into one loan. The result is a single monthly
payment instead of multiple payments.
Find the right repayment plan for
you, learn how to make payments, get help if you can’t afford your payments,
and see what circumstances might result in a loan being forgiven, canceled, or
how to repay your federal student loans can save you a lot of time and money.