Financial Aid Help Center
Northeast State’s Financial Aid Help Center assists students in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online, as well as providing resource information for additional sources of institutional scholarships and external assistance programs.
Financial Aid is an umbrella term that may encompass Federal, State, College, or external third-party/agency programs that provide financial assistance to students meeting eligibility requirements for the individual programs. Although sources of aid may be combined and thought of as the student’s Financial Aid Package for a term or academic year, the sources usually require different applications and documentation. Some aid programs are need based; others are merit based or may be a combination of need and merit. Award of aid is not guaranteed based on any enrollment or demographic factor. Students must apply by set deadlines, submit required documentation, and meet eligibility criteria for each aid program they are pursuing. The purpose of the Financial Aid Help Center is to teach students how to navigate the different streams of Financial Aid available to them.
The Financial Aid Help Center exists to help prospective students who have applied for admission to Northeast State as well as current students who are returning for additional terms. The Center’s Technical Clerks are available to help students begin the FAFSA process and locate information.
Appointments for FAFSA assistance are required. Once a FAFSA is submitted online and processed by the U.S. Department of Education’s Central Processing System, students can then make appointments to see the Financial Aid Counselor for specific concerns related to their FAFSA results, program eligibility, or loan requirements.
In order to begin FAFSA submission, you must determine if you are a dependent or independent student according to FAFSA. Your status will determine the documentation you must bring to your appointment. A student must bring the following 12 items to the appointment:
- The student’s Northeast State ID number as generated by submission of the Northeast State Application for Admission.
- Copy of 2013 Tax Returns for the 2014-2015 FAFSA. Dependent students must bring student and parent(s) taxes. Independent students must bring student/spouse taxes. Please be prepared to grant permission to the IRS to import your tax information to your FAFSA. If you have not completed your 2013 taxes, you can still submit your 2014-2015 FAFSA.
- Copy of 2013 W2s for the 2014-2015 FAFSA. Dependent students must bring student and parent(s) W2s. Independent students must bring student/spouse W2s. **For questions regarding dependent or independent status, please contact the Financial Aid Help Center**
- List of all untaxed income received in the household, child support, VA disability, worker’s compensation, housing allowances, IRA accounts, etc.
- List of child support paid out and received for a child/children.
- FAFSA PIN (Personal Identification Number). If a dependent student, parent must also have a FAFSA PIN. A PIN may also be obtained during the appointment.
- Social Security card.
- If a dependent student, the student must know or have the parental date of marriage/divorce, date of residency, birth dates, and parental Social Security numbers.
- If a ward of the court, the student must bring court documentation.
- If an orphan, the student must submit documentation.
- If the student or parents have stocks, bonds, CDs, trust fund, real estate, partnerships, etc., please have the net value (fair market value – debt = net value) of each.
- Student and parent e-mail addresses.
No mailed, e-mailed, or faxed copies of the above items can be accepted by the Financial Aid Help Center. All documentation must be supplied by the student at the time of the appointment.
The Financial Aid Help Center is located within Room C2402 in the General Studies Building on Northeast State’s main campus in Blountville. Please email email@example.com for more information. If you wish to schedule an appointment, you may do so by clicking the "Schedule Now" link below.