Northeast State awards assistance to students to meet their college expenses through scholarships administered by the Northeast State Foundation or other sponsoring agencies that establish programs for Northeast State students. Northeast State scholarship awards are based on the availability of funds and the criteria set forth by the appropriate program sponsor and are subject to change. Northeast State Scholarships are defined as competitive awards. Competitive scholarship awards are based primarily on academic merit with consideration given to a student's major, county of residence, demonstrated leadership skills, and motivation among other selection criteria. Financial need is not necessarily a prerequisite for receiving a Northeast State scholarship award. No awards are defined as guaranteed scholarships. Neither academic merit nor financial need guarantee a scholarship award to a student who has applied for admission to Northeast State.
The Northeast State Online General Scholarship Application serves as the one application for the following programs:
Academic Work Scholarships
List of Northeast State Foundation Scholarships
Special Scholarship Programs
Unless otherwise noted in individual scholarship criteria, eligible applicants must demonstrate college-level course placement as determined by the appropriate ACT scores, SAT equivalents, COMPASS test results, math diagnostic test results, or successful completion of all required Learning Support courses by the scholarship application deadline.
Eligible applicants must not have earned associate degrees or higher by the beginning of the 2014 Fall Semester. Exemptions for Special Scholarship Programs may exist according to a specific program's eligibility criteria.
Additional eligibility requirements may apply for individual scholarships. Individual scholarship award criteria determine eligible applicants for each program.
Applicants are matched to scholarship selection pools based upon the information supplied on the Northeast State Online General Scholarship Application.
Fall and spring enrollments must be complete by the last day to add a class for the full fall and/or spring term. Scholarship funds are not available during the summer term unless indicated in a specific program's award criteria.
Recipients are limited to no more than four semesters of scholarship assistance from the various award programs. Students who have received scholarship funds for four terms are no longer eligible to continue on the scholarship or to apply for new awards. Exemptions for Special Scholarship Programs and programs with attempted hour provisions may exist according to an individual scholarship award.
Scholarship recipients are notified in writing or by phone call. Scholarship recipients are designated according to various award schedules during the period May to August. Funds are applied to student accounts by the start of fall term classes. Scholarship awards are first applied to any unmet tuition balances that recipients have due before any of the remaining funds are disbursed to the students.
How to Apply for Northeast State Scholarships:
- Complete a 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov by March 1, 2014.
- Complete and submit a Northeast State Application for Admission and pay the $10 application fee by March 1, 2014 if you are a first-time applicant to Northeast State. Current Northeast State students or students previously enrolled at Northeast State are not required to submit a new Application for Admission, but may need to complete and submit the Application for Readmission if not enrolled at Northeast State for two or more consecutive semesters.
- Submit official high school transcripts (high school seniors or other first-time college applicants) or official college transcripts (transfer students) along with the Application for Admission. GED graduates must submit official scores with the Application for Admission. Transcripts must be on file with the Northeast State Office of Admissions and Records by March 1, 2014. Current Northeast State students or students previously enrolled at Northeast State are not required to submit Northeast State transcripts. Please note that high school seniors applying for Northeast State Scholarships must submit a cumulative high school GPA that includes 2013 Fall Semester grades, as well as applicable ACT or SAT scores, by March 1, 2014.
- Complete and submit the Northeast State Online General Scholarship Application by March 1, 2014. Online scholarship applications missing required information will not be considered. While you are not required to provide information regarding ethnicity, gender, or employment, this information may serve as priority selection criteria for some scholarships. You will not be able to submit an application after the March 1, 2014 deadline. Paper applications are no longer accepted. You cannot use the Northeast State Online General Scholarship Application to apply for the Educational Access and Diversity Scholarship or the Educate and Grow Scholarship programs.
- Applicants should be prepared to upload current resume information (including any extracurricular activities, honors, or community service) to the online application. The Northeast State Online General Scholarship Application also requires a brief essay describing the student’s need for a scholarship, short- and long-term career goals, and why the applicant selected Northeast State as the college of choice.
- In the case of multiple online submissions from the same applicant, only the last Northeast State Online General Scholarship Application submitted will be considered.
Contact the Office of Scholarship Programs at 423.279.7637 or scholarships@NortheastState.edu for more information on Northeast State Scholarships.