Student Concerns or Complaints

Northeast State encourages students to express their concerns in a responsible manner. Students should first seek to resolve complaints or concerns informally with the college personnel directly responsible for the area of complaint. If this is not possible or does not provide a satisfactory outcome, students should submit written complaints or concerns about any area of the College's operations to the office of the vice president for Student Affairs. Written complaints should state the nature of the concern as well as the resolution sought. All complaints must be signed and dated by the person making the complaint. The Student Affairs Office will forward the complaint to the appropriate vice president's office (as determined by the nature of the complaint) for review. The student will be notified of the outcome within two weeks of the receipt of the complaint. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome, he or she may appeal in writing to the president of the College. The president's decision will be final.

Complaints regarding discrimination or harassment should be directed to the director of Human Resources, the College's affirmative action officer.

Reporting Fraud, Waste, or Abuse

State law requires all public institutions of higher education to provide a means by which students, employees, or others may report suspected or known improper or dishonest acts. In addition, Northeast State Community College is committed to the responsible stewardship of our resources.

Whether you are part of departmental management, a faculty or staff member, a student, or an interested citizen, we encourage you to report known or suspected dishonest acts by employees, outside contractors or vendors.

You may report your concerns to the college's Internal Audit at 423-354-5228, or to the Tennessee Board of Regents by e-mail at, or to the Tennessee Comptroller's Hotline for Fraud and Abuse at 1-800-232-5454.

Suggestions for Improving College Services

A student who has a suggestion for improving services provided by the college should follow these steps:

  1. Discuss the suggestion with the individual providing the service, including action(s) that can be taken to improve the service.
  2. If the improvement action(s) require approval by the service provider's supervisor or the college administration, the student should submit the suggestion in writing to the Vice President for Student Affairs.
  3. The Vice President for Student Affairs will present the suggestion to the college's Executive Council, which will review the service and make a recommendation to the President.
  4. The President may direct the development and implementation of actions designed to improve the services provided by the college.