Office: 423.323.0252 Office Hours Start FAFSA  Financial Aid Help Center 
Fax: 423.323.0232 Monday - Thursday 7:30am to 6:00pm
Room C2406 Friday 7:30am to 5:00pm
  Federal School Code 005378

How Do I Request Adjustments Due To Special Circumstances?

Under certain circumstances the Financial Aid Administrator has the authority, on the basis of adequate documentation, to make adjustments on a case-by-case basis to the cost of attendance or the values of the data items required to calculate an expected student or parent contribution (or both) to allow for treatment of a financial aid applicant with special circumstances.

Special circumstances that may be considered are:

  • Dependency status - A dependent student who has totally lost contact with parents, has been abandoned by parents or was in an abusive family environment may be eligible to apply for a dependency override
  • Loss of employment and/or loss of income
  • Unusual medical or dental expenses not covered by insurance
  • Separation or divorce after FAFSA was filed
  • Death of a spouse or parent after FAFSA was filed
  • Elementary or secondary school tuition
  • Dependent care expenses
  • Parents in college
  • Cost of attendance
  • Fail to meet Satisfactory Progress Standards

To request an adjustment due to special circumstances, you must obtain a Dependency Override or Request for Recalculation form from the Financial Aid Office or by visiting Financial Aid Forms. Complete the forms and submit them to the Financial Aid Office along with appropriate explanations and documentation.