General Refund Policy - Northeast State will refund a portion of the maintenance and out-of-state tuition to any student who officially drops, withdraws, or is dismissed from a course(s) within the drop/withdrawal deadline. Official withdrawal date for calculating refunds will be based on the date the withdrawal form is received in the Office of Admissions and Records. Refunds are disbursed at the end of the refund period and will be mailed. Refer to the Registration Guide published annually or the Academic Calendar for specific refund periods. Refund amounts will be calculated per the following provisions:
- One hundred percent (100 percent) of maintenance fees, out-of-state fees, and other registration fees will be refunded for classes canceled by the institution.
- One hundred percent (100 percent) of maintenance fees, out-of-state fees, and other registration fees will be refunded for withdrawals processed through the last working day prior to the first day of classes.
- One hundred percent (100 percent) of maintenance fees, out-of-state fees, and other registration fees will be refunded in case of death of a student.
- The basic refund for withdrawals or drops during regular terms (fall and spring) is 75 percent of maintenance fees and out-of-state fees only from the start of classes through the fourteenth calendar day. From the 14th day up to 25 percent of the length of the term, the refund will be 25 percent of maintenance fees and out-of-state fees only. There is no refund after the 25 percent period ends. Please note: Technology fees, On-line course fees, Campus Access Fees, and Activity Fees are non-refundable in refund periods less than 100%.
- For summer sessions and other short terms, the 75 percent refund period and the 25 percent refund period will extend a length of time proportionate to the 75 percent and 25 percent periods of the regular terms. Exact dates are published in the Registration Guide and the Academic Calendar.
- A full refund (100 percent) is provided to students who are compelled by Northeast State to withdraw when it is determined that through Northeast State error they were academically ineligible for enrollment or were not properly admitted to enroll for the course(s) being dropped. In each case, an appropriate official must certify in writing that the provision is applicable.
- When a course is included in a regular term's registration process for administrative convenience but the course does not begin until later in the term, the 75 percent/25 percent refunds will be based on the particular course's beginning and ending dates. This provision does not apply to classes during the fall or spring terms which may meet only once per week. Those courses will follow the same refund dates as other regular courses for the term.
- In those cases where an institutional refund of tuition and fees occurs, the application of those funds shall be in accordance with Institutional Policy 04:36:00, Application of Refund Due to Drops and/or Withdrawals. This policy is located in the Student Financial Aid Handbook.
- Students who register for more than 12 hours and subsequently drop to less than 12 hours or withdraw from the institution during a fee adjustment period will be assessed a prorated fee for the dropped hours.
Click here for the Tuition Refund and Appeal Process policy.
Return of Title IV Funds - Refunds of fees for students who receive assistance from Title IV financial aid programs are returned to each grant in accordance with applicable federal regulations when students totally withdraw or stop attending all classes at Northeast State. Return of Title IV Funds policies that apply to students who receive assistance under Title IV financial aid programs can be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid.