NORTHEAST STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Nursing Admission Exam
The A2 exam is a computerized nursing entrance exam required for admission to the Northeast State nursing program. The results will be used to determine readiness for and success in the program. Students must have a Northeast State application on file before taking the A2 exam.
The A2 exam will be available, by appointment, from March-June 2013. Test date information will be emailed to students once they have submitted their A2 Registration Form and $50 non-refundable test fee. Day and evening sessions will be available Monday - Friday.
PROCEDURES FOR SCHEDULING THE A2 EXAM
Step 1 - Submit the Registration Form and pay the $50 Non- Refundable Fee (cash only) in Northeast State's Business Office. The fee is good for one year.
Step 2 - The fee is non-refundable and non-transferable, therefore students should meet the GPA and course requirements before submitting the A2 Registration Form.
Step 3 - Test dates are not publicized. Once students submit the registration form and pay the fee, an email will be sent with registration information and available test dates.
CANCELLATION POLICY –
The $50 fee will be forfeited if students fail to cancel two business days before the scheduled test. Students who cancel within two business days may reschedule without an additional fee.
Students who do not cancel within two business days must submit a new registration form and pay $50.00 in the Business Office before a new test date may be scheduled. Students who do not comply will not be allowed to test until resubmitting the form and paying the fee.
The following sections are required for admission to the Northeast State Nursing Program:
- Math: 50-item exam. Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, and general math facts that are useful, for example, when calculating drug dosages and solutions. A calculator is included in the software. No other calculator is allowed. Time: 50 minutes.
- Reading Comprehension: 47-item exam. Reading scenarios are health related and will measure reading comprehension, including: Identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc. Time: 60 minutes
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge: 50-item exam. Contains basic vocabulary that is often used in health care fields. Recommended Time: 50 minutes
- Grammar: 50-item exam. Contains basic grammar, including: parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, and commonly occurring grammatical errors. Time: 50 minutes
- Anatomy and Physiology (A&P): 25-item exam. Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems. Time: 25 minutes
- Biology: 25-item exam. Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, and photosynthesis. Time: 25 minutes
- Learning Styles: 14-items assessment of preferred learning style.Time: 15 minutes
- Personality Style: 25-items assessment of personality related to preferred learning style. Time: 25 minutes
The test is timed and will automatically stop after five hours.
Students will be allowed a ten minute break between tests.
Eight copies of the HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review are available in the Basler Library for a three-day checkout. Also, students may go online to Elsevier to order a copy.
The A2 exam fee is $50, cash only. The fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. This fee must be submitted with the A2 Registration Form to the Business Office.
Submit the A2 Registration Form to:
Attn.: Business Office, P105
Northeast State Community College
P.O. Box 246
Blountville, TN 37617
SCHEDULING TEST DATE
Students will receive an e-mail within three business days listing available testing dates and with the procedures for scheduling their exam.
Test results are available at the completion of each exam. Once all the required tests are completed students will receive one copy of the Summary Report. Students are encouraged to make several copies of the report for their future use. It is the responsibility of applicants to enclose a copy of their Summary Report in their nursing application packet. A more detailed score report will be emailed within three to four weeks.
Students may retest one time per calendar year with a two week waiting period. No exceptions. To retest, submit a new A2 Registration Form and pay the $50 fee in the Business Office. Please check Retest.