"Maintain, Don't Gain Holiday Challenge"
November 25, 2013 - January 17, 2014
THE CHALLENGE: Stay within 1-2 pounds of your starting weight from Thanksgiving time to the end of the holidays. (It's OK to weigh less than your starting weight, but the focus is on maintaining not gaining!)
Step 1. SIGN UP. Deadline to sign up is November 27.
Step 2. WEIGH-IN. Weigh-in before Thanksgiving for your beginning weight and the week of January 20 - 24, 2014, for your ending weight. Weekly weigh-ins are encouraged to allow you to better track your progress and refocus on healthy choices if needed. The "official" scale will be the scale in the Health Clinic (Blountville, Elizabethton, and Kingsport sites).
Step 3. PARTICIPATE in opportunities to educate, entertain, and empower.
- Weekly "Holiday Challenge" handouts will be delivered to your email box.
- Lunch and Learn - "Tip for Overeating: Stay Calm During the Holidays" facilitated by K.C. Gott, Yoga instructor and NeSCC Adjunct Instructor. December 2 at 12:00 noon in Room L106 of the Basler Library. Bring your lunch. Learn how to avoid the double whammy of food and feelings!
- Friday Treadmill and Elliptical groups. Join us in the Physical Education Classroom (D192) between 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. for a 20-30 minute walk. (Need volunteer leaders.)
- Lunch Walks with the College Nurse. Wednesdays at 12:00 on the Blountville campus. Meet at the Health Clinic (Room C2113). Will walk indoors during cold weather. (Need volunteer leader for days the Nurse is not available.) Check with Kim Rapcan, College Nurse on Wednesdays in Kingsport (RCHP 148) and Thursdays in Elizabethton (E112) to see if weather will permit a walk.
- Weekly weigh-ins available pending the Health Services schedule: most Wednesdays/Thursdays in Blountville, most Wednesdays in Kingsport, and most Thursdays in Elizabethton.
Step 4. REWARDS. Participants in Lunch and Learn, group walks, Friday workouts, and weekly weigh-ins will be entered in drawings for prizes. All participants who maintain their weight at the end of the challenge will be entered in drawings for Maintain, Don't Gain duffle bags and lunch bags.
Step 5. FINAL WEIGH-IN. Weigh-in at the Health Clinic the week of January 20 - 24, 2014.
Step 6. CELEBRATE. The health benefits and knowledge gained are a great gift for the holidays and a terrific way to start the New Year.
DID YOU KNOW... EVEN A LITTLE WEIGHT GAIN ADDS UP!