J. Allen Hurley Wellness Trail
J. Allen Hurley Wellness Trail winds .7 miles around the north end of campus. The trail takes you through a developing arboretum, a natural growth area home to dozens of plants, wildlife, newly planted trees, and old growth trees. It is quiet even though it travels close to busy country roads. Trail walkers may spot birds, squirrels, or other wildlife frolicking in the area.
Walking for fitness can help you achieve a number of important health benefits. For example, you can:
- Reduce your risk of a heart attack.
- Manage your blood pressure.
- Reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Manage your diabetes.
- Manage your weight.
- Manage stress and boost your spirits.
- Stay strong and active.
Tips for a Great Walk
- Select light-weight, flexible, well-fitting shoes.
- Wear comfortable clothing that’s easy to move in.
- When walking outdoors, put on sunscreen, a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses to protect your skin and eyes.
- Drink water before, during, and after your walk.
- Look 10-20 feet ahead as you walk instead of staring down. Stand up straight, no leaning forward or back.
- Start and end with five minutes of walking slowly to warm up and cool down.