Information for New Patients
It is the goal of Northeast State Student Health Services to promote development of lifelong attitudes and behaviors that will promote learning and result in optimum health and quality of life.
The Student Health Clinic is located in the General Studies Building, room C2113.
All currently enrolled students are eligible to use the clinic.
Student Health Services is a nurse-operated clinic. Dr. Mack Hicks is the medical consultant for Student Health Services. He does not see patients in the Student Clinic. A registered nurse is available to do a nursing assessment if you are sick, teach you new things to do at home for your health (self-care skills), and will help you find a physician if you do not have one.
Some basic over the counter medications are available in the clinic in unit dose packages for headache, sore throat, cough, and upset stomachs. The campus bookstore also carries limited medications.
Privacy of Your Medical Records
We are required to maintain the privacy of your health information. We will not use or disclose your health information without your written authorization except to report immunization information required for school attendance to the Admissions and Records Office, for regular health operations, and to the extent authorized by and necessary by law.
Student Health Services complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and Northeast States institutional policies regarding the privacy of your records.
If you have questions and would like additional information, you may contact the college nurse at 423.323.0212.
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Although your health record is the physical property of the healthcare practitioner or facility that compiled it, the information belongs to you. You have the right to:
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your information
- Obtain a paper copy of the notice of information practices upon request
- Inspect and obtain a copy of your health record
- Amend your health record
- Obtain an accounting of disclosures of your health information
- Request communications of your health information by alternative means or at alternative locations
- Revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that action has already been taken.