College-Level Examination Program
CLEP is a credit-by-examination program accepted by most colleges and universities. Northeast State is an Open Test Center for the CLEP program. Non-Northeast State students are welcome to take CLEP exams at the College.
CLEP examinations cover material taught in courses that most students take as requirements during the first two years of college. Colleges generally grant the same amount of credit to students earning satisfactory scores on the CLEP examination as it grants to students successfully completing that course. Northeast State does not award letter grades for CLEP examinations, instead students receive a “P” for passing.
Most exams are 90 minutes with multiple-choice questions except for the College Composition exam. This exam is a two-hour test and includes multiple-choice questions and two essays. Score reports for all examinations, except College Composition, are available immediately after completion of the test. The College Board mails official results to students and the designated institution within two to three weeks. College Composition results may take up to six weeks.
CLEP provides specific information on knowledge and skills required for all their examinations on the CLEP web site.
Northeast State students should check the Northeast State Course Equivalency Table before signing up for an exam. Northeast State does not offer credit equivalency for all of the CLEP examinations. Non-Northeast State students must check with their home institution for approved CLEP examinations and credit hours earned for each exam.
CLEP Study Guide
Northeast State's Basler Library has the official CLEP Study Guide available for checkout. The guide can be purchased at local bookstores or online at the College Board. The cost is $18 for the complete study guide and $10 for study guides for individual subject areas.
Testing Fees - $100.00 per exam. One exam per testing session.
- $80.00 CLEP Examination Fee paid to College Board
Create an account online to pay the $80.00 exam fee at the College Board. Your account must be created and the fee paid before your scheduled test day. Northeast State cannot accept the $80 fee.
- $20.00 Northeast State Non-Refundable Registration Fee
Pay the $20.00 registration fee in the Northeast State Business Office the same day as the scheduled test.
Day of Test
CLEP Test Location: Northeast State's main campus in Blountville. The street address is 2425 Highway 75. Please obtain a Visitor's Pass at the Welcome Center as you enter the main gate.
- Bring a CLEP payment receipt and a Ticket ID. Required in order to test.
- Pay the $20.00 Registration Fee in the Cashier's Office (Room P203A) on the second floor of the James Pierce Administration Building.
- Come to the Testing Center, Room C2106, in the General Studies Building.
- One form of personal identification that is government issued, such as a driver's license, passport, state or national ID or permanent resident card (green card) is required for admittance to testing. The ID must include full name, photograph and signature.