Advising FAQs  

Your faculty advisor's name is posted on your MyNortheast account. Log into your account and your advisor's name will be listed in the top left corner of your home page.  

Click here for information on how to schedule an appointment with your advisor.

Yes. Currently enrolled degree and certificate seeking students are required to speak with an academic advisor prior to registering for courses. Advisors will review the student's Degree Works audit and academic plan, then clear the students record to allow registration. If schedules or locations conflict and do not allow for you to meet with your assigned faculty advisor, the Advising Resource Center advisors are available to assist you.  

*Please note non-degree seeking students are not required but highly recommended to speak with an advisor prior to registration.           

The Associate of Arts (AA) and the Associate of Science (AS) degrees are designed for transfer to a four-year institution. An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is designed for immediate employment in a specialized area.  

An academic plan is completed with your faculty advisor and outlines the courses that you need to take each semester in order to graduate.  

A prerequisite is a course that must be completed before taking a more advanced course. (ex. ENGL1010 must be completed before ENGL1020.)  

If you simply need to update your student account to reflect a different major, then complete the online Change of Major form (will need to use Chrome Web Browser to access this form) which will then be submitted to Admissions and Records.  If you are uncertain of your major and need assistance in making a decision you may contact the  Career & Workforce Development Center for career advising, or the Advising Resource Center for assistance in determining the appropriate degree path and the development of an academic plan. 

After the registration period is over, students may make adjustments in their schedules by adding and/or dropping courses. A student may drop or add courses for Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters as published in the Academic Calendar . Courses dropped within the first 14 days of the term are not recorded on the student’s transcript.

Following the 14th day of the term, and not later than two-thirds of the term beginning with the first day of classes, a student may officially drop a course(s) or withdraw from Northeast State and receive a grade of “W”. After the drop/withdrawal deadline date, no student will be permitted to drop/withdraw from the college or classes and receive the designation of “W” without providing documented evidence of unusual and verifiable circumstances which compel the student to discontinue enrollment after the published last date to drop/withdraw. Examples of unusual circumstances that may warrant a late drop/withdrawal are:

  • Serious personal illness of the student verified by the healthcare provider or 
  • Serious illness or death in the student’s immediate family verified by physician’s documentation or a copy of an obituary or
  • A necessary change in work schedule or new employment verified in writing by the student’s employer.

In all circumstances, the student must file a Request for Late Drop/Withdrawal in the Advising Resource Center on the main campus in Blountville. Students must submit all of the following information in order for the request to be processed:

1.    Request for Late Drop/Withdrawal form

2.    Official documentation of mitigating circumstances which proves that the circumstances occurred after the deadline to drop/withdraw

3.    A statement from the student explaining the mitigating circumstances.