Financial Aid Adjustments

How Do I Request Adjustments Due To Special Circumstances?

Under certain circumstances the Financial Aid Administrator has the authority, on the basis of adequate documentation, to make adjustments on a case-by-case basis to the cost of attendance or the values of the data items required to calculate an expected student or parent contribution (or both) to allow for treatment of a financial aid applicant with special circumstances.  It is important to note that in order to qualify for a special circumstance, the situation must be out of the student’s control.

Special circumstances that may be considered are:

  • Dependency Status: A dependent student who has totally lost contact with parents and has been unable to locate them after making reasonable efforts, has been abandoned by parents, or was in an abusive family environment may be eligible to apply for a dependency override
  • Loss of employment and/or loss of income
  • Death of a spouse or parent after FAFSA was filed
  • Separation or divorce after FAFSA was filed
  • Unusual medical or dental expenses not covered by insurance (Must be out-of-pocket medical expenses)
  • Loss of child support
  • Loss of unemployment or disability benefits

To request an adjustment due to special circumstances, you must visit the Financial Aid Office to speak with a Financial Aid Administrator.  Talking with a Financial Aid Administrator will assist in determining whether or not your special circumstance meets the minimum guidelines set forth by the Department of Education.  A request for a financial aid adjustment due to special circumstances is a lengthy process that requires substantial documentation.  The specific type of documentation that will need to be submitted will vary depending on the specifics surrounding your special circumstance.   

Please be advised that a special circumstance can only be approved for extenuating circumstances for which appropriate documentation is provided.