Study Abroad Scholarship Program
- Northeast State Study Abroad Scholarship-
- Northeast State Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship-
Study abroad scholarships sponsored by Northeast State and the Northeast State Foundation may assist Northeast State students participating in the TnCIS Study Abroad Program. The deadline to apply for summer study abroad scholarships through Northeast State is February 1, 2020. Contact the Office of Scholarship Programs at 423.279.7637 or scholarships@NortheastState.edu for more information on Northeast State Scholarships.
An applicant must:
- Meet all college entrance requirements.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually while enrolled.
- Attain scores on a college-approved assessment instrument that result in placement in college-level courses.
- Have completed at least 12 credit hours of college-level courses at Northeast State prior to the scholarship application deadline and have maintained a minimum Institution Combined grade point average of 2.5.
- Be enrolled at Northeast State as a degree-seeking student during the spring semester prior to the study abroad summer term.
- Complete the study abroad scholarship application process, including submission of the essay How Study Abroad Will Impact My Life and Academic Development.
- Complete the TnCIS Study Abroad Program application process by February 11, 2020, and be accepted by TnCIS for the study abroad program.
- Not have earned an associate or higher level degree by the beginning of the 2020 Summer Semester.
Award Criteria and Recipient Accountability
- The Northeast State Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship is a one-time award. Previous recipients of a Northeast State Study Abroad or Northeast State Foundation Study Abroad scholarship award will only be considered for a second study abroad scholarship award through the Northeast State Study Abroad Scholarship Program after all other eligible applicants have been considered. A recipient may receive the scholarship for the study abroad summer term only.
- Scholarship funds and awards are limited. Acceptance into the TnCIS Study Abroad Program does not guarantee an applicant a Northeast State Study Abroad or Northeast State Foundation Study Abroad scholarship award. TnCIS courses must be approved by the college prior to receipt of scholarship funds.
- Scholarships are competitive, merit-based awards. Financial need is not necessarily a factor in determining award recipients. Award amounts may vary. The maximum award amount is $3,000.00.
- A recipient must travel and successfully complete the TnCIS Study Abroad Program course.
- The scholarship award will be posted to a student’s account for the summer term. Funds will paid directly to TnCIS on behalf of the recipient.
- If TnCIS requirements, scholarship eligibility, award criteria, or recipient accountability standards are not maintained, the Office of Scholarship Programs will terminate the scholarship award. This will obligate the recipient to repay Northeast State for any Northeast State Study Abroad or Northeast State Foundation Study Abroad scholarship funds awarded to the student.
- Scholarship recipients who cancel participation in the TnCIS Study Abroad Program will owe the college costs incurred due to cancelation fees and be subject to college policy pertaining to institutional refunds. Recipients canceling participation between March 7 and April 6, 2020, will owe the college the $2,000.00 cancellation fee. Recipients who cancel after April 6, 2020, will owe the college the full balance of the scholarship award and TnCIS program costs.
- Complete the online application for the Northeast State Study Abroad and the Northeast State Foundation Study Abroad Scholarships and submit it along with the How Study Abroad Will Impact My Life and Academic Development essay by February 1, 2020. Paper applications are no longer accepted.
- In the case of multiple online submissions from the same applicant, only the last application submitted will be considered.
- A Northeast State Scholarship Selection Committee will select recipients of the Northeast State Study Abroad and Northeast State Foundation Study Abroad scholarships. Priority selection for the Northeast State Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship will be given to qualified applicants who are enrolling in a TnCIS course required for their degree program and who have received no other study abroad scholarships and/or grants from any other source.
(opens November 2020)