Adult Learners

Between providing for your family, working a job, and paying bills, returning to college can often seem overwhelming. We want you to know that achieving your dreams of earning a college degree at Northeast State is possible. Listen to how one of our former students made that dream a reality.

We understand the challenges our adults face trying to fit college into their already busy schedules, and we want you to know we are here to support you every step of the way.

Director of Student Success & Adult Recruiter

Campus: Johnson City 
Room: J1015
Office Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
Address: 101 E. Market Street, Johnson City, TN 37604
Phone: 423.354.2481
Fax: 423.323.0215

Helpful Links and Resources

Applying to Northeast State

What is the first step I need to take to get into college at Northeast State?

The very first step is to complete the FREE Application for Admission, whether you’ve already been to college or not.

I submitted an application online. Is that all I have to do?

No, you will also need to submit all of the supporting documents to complete your file for admission. Here is a list of required documents:

  • Official transcripts from any college/university you have attended (if applicable). Those can be mailed to us, dropped off in a sealed envelope, or faxed directly from the college.
  • Official high school transcript - submission methods are the same as the college transcript.
  • Clear copy of valid driver’s license - submit it using one of the other methods listed.
  • Placement test (if applicable) - Visit this link. Choose ACCUPLACER at the campus location you prefer, select the date and time, enter your name, etc. and submit it.

How do I get my transcripts from high school?

In many cases you can simply call the high school you attended and ask them to mail your transcript to us. Some schools may require you submit your request in writing.

I received a GED/HiSET. How do I request a transcript?

  • If you received it in Tennessee, click on the link provided.
  • If you received it in Virginia, click on the link provided.

How do I get my transcripts from another college?

Each college has a unique process, but many require a written request or the submission of an online form. You may want to start by calling the Registrar’s Office at each school, or visiting the part of the school website dedicated to registration and records.

Do I need a placement test?

You will be notified if a placement test is required.

How do I register for the placement test?

Register here for the placement test. Our placement test is called ACCUPLACER.

Is there a cost associated with taking the placement test?

Yes, there is a $10 fee to take the placement test.

What happens if I do not obtain the desired score on the placement test?

If you do not obtain the desired score on the placement test, you will be placed in learning support classes in that particular subject. The Learning Support Program is designed to provide students with the preparation needed for success in college level courses. Placement procedures are designed to ensure that students are enrolled in courses at the appropriate level.

I haven’t lived in Tennessee for a year. Will I have to pay out of state tuition?

If you have not lived in Tennessee for at least 12 months consecutively, you will be asked to submit a Proof of Residency form and supporting materials to show proof of your current Tennessee address. You may contact the Admissions Office for a list of appropriate supporting materials.

I am a Tennessee resident, but I made a mistake on my application stating that I have lived in Tennessee fewer than 12 months. What should I do?

You will still have to complete the Proof of Residency form and supporting materials showing proof of your current Tennessee address.

Paying for College

What are some ways that I can help pay for college?

The TN Reconnect Grant can help pay tuition and fee costs. To learn more about the TN Reconnect program, click here. Please note that the following items are not covered by TN Reconnect and will be your responsibility if no other sources of aid are available:

  • Online fees for TN eCampus courses
  • Specific course fees such as nursing fees, health professions course fees, music fees, and any other fees specific to a course
  • Books, access codes, or supplies
  • Fines such as parking fines and library fines
  • Calculator rentals
  • Printing costs

The first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can also receive assistance from different types of grants, applying for scholarships through Northeast State and outside of Northeast State, by setting up a payment plan, by just paying out of pocket, or by obtaining private loans. You can use a combination of these methods to pay for college.

Is there an application for the TN Reconnect Grant?
Yes. Go to and select the link to apply for the TN Reconnect grant located at the top of the page. There is no deadline but it’s in your best interest to complete it at your earliest convenience.

How do I apply for financial aid?

The first thing you need to do is request an FSA ID so that you can use it to complete the FAFSA. This guide will help you find more information about applying for financial aid.

What documents will I need to apply for financial aid?

You will need to use your tax return to complete the FAFSA application. You may also be asked to submit additional documents.

Can someone help me with financial aid?

Yes, we have a Financial Aid Help Center. Our representatives can help you complete your FAFSA.

Will I automatically receive financial aid by applying for it?

You will not automatically receive financial aid by simply applying for it. There are many contributing factors which determine your eligibility to receive financial aid.

How often do I have to apply for financial aid?

You will need to apply for financial aid each year that you will be enrolled in courses.

I was selected for verification. What does that mean?

The U.S. Department of Education selects students for the verification process. Once selected, a college or university financial aid office is required to verify selected items by collecting tax return transcripts and other specified documents to compare the information with items on the student’s FAFSA. You can learn a little more about verification here.

Can I use my financial aid money to pay for my books?

Yes, if you have a surplus after all of your tuition and fees have been paid.

What are my responsibilities related to financial aid?

Your responsibilities for financial aid include maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress and other important requirements necessary for financial aid. You can learn more about your rights and responsibilities here.

Selecting Classes and Getting Prepared for Classes

How do I schedule my classes?

You will be asked to attend an orientation designed specifically for adult learners. You will meet with an advisor and schedule your classes at that time amongst other things.

Can I only take classes at one campus?

No, you can take classes at any of our campus locations or online.

How do I choose a major?

If you do not know what major you want to pursue, you can meet with our Career and Workforce Development Center. You will be asked to complete an online assessment to discover your interests, then you can meet with a representative from the Career and Workforce Development Center to discuss the majors that fit your interests.

Am I required to get a student ID?

Yes. You will receive your student ID at orientation, so be prepared to have your photo taken on the day you attend orientation!

Do you have a computer lab where I can do my homework?

Yes, we have computers available at all of our campus locations for students to use.

Does the school have tutors available?

Yes, we have several tutoring options available. You may visit our Learning Center when tutors are available, you may use a TRIO tutor if you qualify for that program, or work with tutors for specific subject areas.