About Northeast State
2425 Highway 75
P.O. Box 246
Blountville, TN 37617-0246
Phone: 423.323.3191 or 423.282.0800
Admissions and Records only: 800.836.7822
Northeast State Community College is a comprehensive two-year community college under the governance of the Tennessee Board of Regents of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee.
As a comprehensive community college, Northeast State provides university parallel programs designed for students desiring to transfer to another college or university, career programs for students planning to enter the workforce immediately upon graduation, and continuing education and community service programs for professional growth and personal enrichment to the citizens of Carter, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington counties.
The history of Northeast State reflects the changing educational needs of the residents of the five Northeast Tennessee counties that it serves.
- 1966: The college began as Tri-Cities State Area Vocational-Technical School under the governance of the State Board for Vocational Education.
- 1970: The mission was expanded and the school became a regional center for vocational and technical training.
- 1978: The scope was again expanded to include the awarding of both one-year certificates and associate degrees in technology, and the name was changed to Tri-Cities State Technical Institute.
- 1983: Tri-Cities State Tech was placed under the governance of the Tennessee State Board of Regents and became part of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee.
- 1990: A university parallel component was added, and the institution’s name was changed to Northeast State Technical Community College.
- 2009: The name of the institution was changed to Northeast State Community College to better reflect the diverse range of programs offered by the institution.
- In partnership with the community, the college sustains the effort toward improving the quality of life for residents of the Northeast Tennessee region.
Northeast State Community College
is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on
Colleges (SACSCOC) to award the associate degree. Questions about the
accreditation of Northeast State may be directed in writing to the Southern
Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern
Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using
information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).