Northeast State Community College - We're here to get you there

Q. Can I use my check card to pay my tuition?

A. Yes, as long as the check card has a MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express logo on it.

Q. What is my student ID number?

A. Your student ID number is a unique nine digit identifier assigned to you when you apply to Northeast State. It is highly recommended you memorize this number. You will be asked for this number when conducting business with various offices around campus.

Q. Should I get a student ID?

A. Yes, all students should get student IDs when they register for the first time at Northeast State. Student IDs will be used to identify you while on campus, to check out books in the library, and to print material in open labs. Some area businesses offer discounts to college students but you must have a valid student ID to receive these discounts.

Q. Does it cost to get an ID?

A. There is no cost to get your first student ID; however, if you lose it and need a replacement, you will have to pay a $5 replacement fee (fees are subject to change without notice).

Q. What do I do if I get a parking ticket I feel is unjustified?

A. Students can dispute parking tickets by signing up for student traffic court in the office of Police and Safety. Business Office staff do not have the authority to void parking tickets.

Q. Why do I have to pay a Student Activity Fee if I do not participate in any student activities?

A. The Student Activity Fee is a mandatory fee that is paid by students enrolled in courses for credit or audit. The fee is used to support a variety of student programs. 

Q. What is a Technology Fee and why do I have to pay it if I am not in Technology classes?

A. The Technology Fee is a fee charged to all students enrolled in courses for credit or audit. The funds collected are used to support instructional technology and to provide open computer labs for students to use.



Q. Can my Husband/Wife/Mother/Father/Boyfriend pick up my college work-study check?

A. No, college work-study students must sign for their paychecks and show a photo ID.

Q. If I drop a class during a refund period, when and how do I get my refund?

A. The Business Office will start processing refunds on dropped classes as soon after the drop as possible. Refunds on cancelled classes will be processed as soon as the Business Office receives them. Refunds are processed by check and mailed to you if you paid by check or cash. Refunds on payments made by credit card will be refunded back to the credit card account or mailed directly to you.  Refunds will be direct deposited if a payment profile has been created.

Q. I dropped a class the very first day of school and never attended the first class session, why can't I get all my money back?

A. As of the first class day the refund percent is 75% of maintenance fees only. Even though you did not attend the class session, your seat was reserved in anticipation of your participation. 

Q. Why can't you talk to my Mother/Father/Husband/Wife/Girlfriend/Boyfriend about my account?

A. Please refer to the Federal  Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Q. If I have special circumstances for dropping a class, can I get all my money back?

A. Please refer to the  refund policy and the refund appeal process for refund information. 

Q. Can I post-date a check?

A. No.

Q. Can I call and give my credit card number over the phone to pay my account?

A. No, for privacy and security reasons, it is policy that employees do not take credit card numbers over the phone.

Q. Can I send you my credit card number by e-mail?

A. No, Internet security is an on-going struggle and sensitive information such as credit card numbers by e-mail is strongly discouraged.

Q. When do I have to pay my tuition?

A. Due dates are printed on your student bills and last day to pay dates are available on the website in the Academic Calendar.

Q. What happens if I do not pay my tuition by the due date?

A. Unpaid obligations may result in having your schedule cancelled. You will need to re-enroll. This may mean that the classes or schedule you wanted is no longer available.

Q. There are out-of-state charges on my account. I am not an out-of-state student. Can you remove these charges?

A. Several factors can cause your account to be marked with out-of-state status. This must be handled with the Admissions Office. The Business Office cannot remove out-of-state charges.

Q. Why do I owe a late fee?

A. As of the first day of classes, unpaid balances and late registrations are assessed a $10.00 late payment/registration fee(fees are subject to change without notice).

Q. I have been told I have a hold on my account. What does that mean?

A. Several factors can cause a hold to be placed on your records. A Business Office hold usually means that you have unpaid obligations such as unpaid tuition, late fee, parking fines, or library fines. We will also place a hold on your records if we have returned mail until your address is updated with the Admissions Office. Paying these obligations and/or updating your address will remove these holds from your records.

Q. How long does it take to get financial aid applied to my account?

A. Financial aid awarding is a multi-step process and questions concerning the steps in the process should be directed to the Financial Aid Office.

Q. If I have a credit balance from excess aid when can I expect to receive my funds?

A.  After the 14th day into the term we will begin to disburse excess aid in one of two ways. If you have signed up for direct deposit your money will be deposited directly into your account.  Otherwise a check will be issued and mailed to the permanent address of record.   Please note, the Permanent Address is the address that will be used when checks are mailed.

Q.  What do I do if I do not receive my check in the mail?

A.  Please wait a minimum of 7 days for your mail to reach you if we have your correct Permanent Address before contacting the business office.  If your address has changed please wait a minimum of 14 days for your mail to be forwarded to you before contacting the Business Office

Q.  What if I have direct deposit and I have changed banks or closed my account?

A.  When we receive notice from our financial institution that your direct deposit was not successful we will issue a paper check in the next check cycle unless you notify us that you have corrected the information in your payment profile and wish your funds to be directed deposited.

Q.  Can I charge my books at the campus bookstore using my excess aid?

A.  Yes, if you have a minimum of $50.00 credit on your account you can charge your books and have it deducted from your disbursement.  Dates that this service is available will be posted each semester.

Q.  Can I pick up my check instead of having it mailed?

A.  All checks will be mailed or direct deposited.  No checks will be handed out on campus.

Connect with Northeast State

Northeast State Community College, a Tennessee Board of Regents institution, is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. For questions or concerns, please contact the Affirmative Action Officer.