Northeast State Community College - We're here to get you there

Admission FAQs

What do I need to do in order to attend Northeast State?

You must complete and submit an Application for Admission and submit required documents.

You can request a copy of your GED/HiSET by visiting .

You may check your missing requirements through your application portal. You will be notified of your admission to the college through the email listed on your application and a mailed letter.

How/when do I register for classes?

New Students: New students will sign up for a new student registration day where they will meet with an advisor and register for classes. You must be fully admitted to sign up for a registration day. Please email for information on upcoming registration days. 

Returning Students: Returning students have the opportunity to register early for classes. If you have not done so already, you should consult your advisor during the week long Advising Period. The Advising Period is followed by the Early Registration Period. You should use MyNortheast to register for classes (the Spring Advising/Registration Period usually begins in April for the summer and fall semesters, and in November for the spring semester; see semester schedule for dates).

Can I receive college credit for my life and work experience?

Please refer to the Prior Learning Assessment Procedure Manual for more information on receiving credit for experiential learning.
When are schedules available?
Semester schedules are currently available online.

How much does it cost to attend Northeast State?

You can find current fee information on the Tuition and Fees page.

Is financial aid available?

To find out more about the financial aid and scholarship opportunities available to you, please go to the Northeast State Financial Aid page. For assistance in filing your FAFSA, schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid Help Center.

 How do I request a copy of my transcript?

Submit your Northeast State transcript request on this page. Transcripts will not be furnished unless all financial obligations to Northeast State have been satisfied. Completed requests may also be submitted by fax, scan/email, by U.S. mail or in person.

Is there a fee for transcripts?

No charge is assessed for transcripts provided that five (5) or fewer copies are requested at any one time. Additional copies after five (5) will cost $1 each. This charge is payable in the Business Office. Transcripts will not be furnished unless all financial obligations to Northeast State have been satisfied.

How long will it take to process my transcript request?

Electronic transcripts are typically processed within 1 hour. Paper transcripts are normally processed within three (3) business days after receipt of the request. Requests received at the end of a term or during registration periods may take longer to process.

How do I get my grades?

You may access your grades on MyNortheast shortly after the end of each semester.

Who is eligible for an Academic Fresh Start?

Any person who has not been enrolled at a college or university for a period of at least four years, upon re-applying to Northeast State may petition to have F grades on prior coursework removed from GPA calculation.

How do I apply for an Academic Fresh Start?

Complete the Application for Academic Fresh Start here. When processed, the request will be submitted to the Registrar for approval.

What if my native language is not English?

An applicant whose native language is not English must satisfy one of the following prerequisites:

  • Submit a minimum score of 500 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • Submit a transcript showing graduation from an American high school
  • Submit a transcript showing satisfactory completion (a grade of C or higher) of college-level English Composition I from an accredited college or university located in the United States 

Students enrolled in degree or certificate programs at Northeast State may obtain advanced standing and course credit as listed in the Northeast State catalog. Please contact the Office of Admissions and Records for complete details.

What is my residency classification?

All applicants are classified as in-state or out-of-state for fee purposes as part of the admission process. The Office of Admissions and Records will notify an applicant who is classified as out-of-state. Please contact the Admissions and Records Office for complete details.

Have I completed everything I need to in order to be able to enroll/start classes?

The following items are required for degree-seeking students:

  • Complete and submit Application for Admission
  • Provide an official high school transcript or official GED or HiSET test results
  • Submit official transcripts of credits attempted from all institutions of higher education previously attended
  • Submit proof of citizenship or lawful presence in the United States (driver’s license) 

Students who do not present valid ACT, SAT, or other approved valid assessment scores that demonstrate college readiness based upon established cut scores, or other documentation to the contrary, will be placed into the appropriate co-requisite learning support course(s) or interventions for reading, writing, and/or mathematics as defined by the academic program requirements. Degree seeking students, either first-time or transfer, entering without valid assessment scores, or transferable college level credit, will be enrolled into the appropriate subject area co-requisite learning support course along with the paired college level course or may be given the option of challenge testing to place into college level courses without learning support.


I changed my address a few weeks ago. Why is it not changed?

All addresses are changed within two to three business days. Please resubmit the change of address form by visiting the Admissions Forms page

I currently live & have always lived in Tennessee. Why have I been charged Out-of-State tuition?

On your Application for Admission you indicated that you had not resided in Tennessee continuously for the past 12 months or accidentally left the question blank. All applicants are classified as in-state or out-of-state for fee purposes as part of the admission process. See the Admissions Office for additional assistance.

Where do I turn in my graduation application?

Graduation applications can be submitted at this page.

What is the readmission process for students who have been out for more than one semester?

Fill out an Application for Readmission or in your MyNortheast. Paper readmits can also be printed from the website and faxed, mailed or scanned/emailed.  

How do I view my class schedule?

  1. Navigate to MyNortheast.
  2. Click "Student".


3. Click "Registration".


4. Select either "Week at a Glance" or "Student Detail Schedule".


Connect with Northeast State

Northeast State Community College, a Tennessee Board of Regents institution, is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. For questions or concerns, please contact the Affirmative Action Officer.