Northeast State Community College - We're here to get you there

Degree Works FAQ

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is an easy-to-use, powerful set of degree audit and academic advising tools designed to operate through the web. There is a powerful “What If” feature that allows you to see how your course-work may be used should you consider changing your major. Degree Works is designed to enhance the academic advisement process and is not intended to replace face-to-face academic advisement. Degree Works allows you to view the progress you are making toward your degree at any time via the web.

How do I benefit from using Degree Works?

  • Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
  • View individual course grades, cumulative grade-point average (GPA), and major average.
  • Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
  • View transfer credits, waivers, and exemptions applied toward degree.
  • See how your coursework could be applied toward another major, minor, certificate or major concentration using the ‘What If’ option.
  • Confirm your academic standing.
  • Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
  • Learn the prerequisites and corequisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers.

How do I read my degree audit?

The audit is designed in a logical hierarchy. The first section displays basic information such as your name, degree objective, major, etc. The following sections list the overall requirements to earn your degree, learning support, major and perhaps concentration. Electives Not Required for Degree, Insufficient, In-Progress, Not Applicable to Degree, and finally advisor notes are listed toward the bottom of the audit. We call each of these sections “blocks”. Your advisor can assist you with reading your audit.

Who is my advisor?

Your advisor is listed in the first section with your basic information. The advisor’s name is an email hyperlink. If your advisor information is missing or you believe it to be incorrect a listed is provided by clicking the following link: Advisory Directory.

The requirements in my audit are not accurate, what should I do?

The first step is to speak to your academic advisor. Your advisor will determine if the requirements for your degree are different than those noted in your audit. Keep in mind that your audit lists the degree requirements in effect as listed in your catalog of record, which could be different than the current catalog.

Is the audit or my advisor correct?

Always consult with your advisor if you have any questions about your particular degree requirements. Your advisor will explain any difference between the audit and the advice you are receiving.

I’m thinking about changing my major. How will the courses I took be used toward my new major?

Use the “What If” feature by selecting your proposed degree, major and perhaps concentration. The requirements for your selection will appear and you will see how your course-work may be used in the program you are considering.

If I use the “What If” feature does this mean that I have changed my major?

No. When you select a “What If” major you are not changing your major but rather viewing how your credits would be used should you change your major. If you would like to change your major you may initiate this process by completing a “Change of Major” form available online at our Admissions Forms page

My major is wrong, what should I do?

Complete a "Change of Major" form via the web at our Admissions Forms page.

My advisor told me that a course I took would be substituted for a requirement, why doesn’t this information appear in my audit?

Speak to your advisor and be sure that the official substitution/waiver course form has been properly completed, signed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Once this form is submitted, the change will be input into your record and then the course substitution will appear on your audit.

My advisor told me that a course would be waived, why doesn’t this information appear in my audit?

Speak to your advisor and be sure that the official substitution/waiver course form has been completed, signed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Once this form is submitted, the change will be input into your record and then a record of the waived course will appear on your audit.

How do I print a copy of my audit?

Just press the “Print” button in the upper left hand corner of the audit.

Is my degree audit the same as my Northeast State transcript?

No. Your Northeast State transcript is arranged by each semester and is the final and official documentation of your academic record at Northeast State. It must be requested from the Admissions and Records office online or in person. (Note: A transcript ordered online is processed faster.)If you are receiving any type of financial aid, please review your courses and your choice of major with an advisor before submitting a change of major form.

There was a change on my student record, when will it appear in my audit?

The audit database is updated each night so changes appear the next business day.

Why are my newly registered courses or classes currently in-progress (IP) not appearing in my Degree Works worksheet?

Newly registered courses and information from Northeast State usually takes 24 hours to be reflected and uploaded to Degree Works. An Academic Advisor can also “Process New” (refresh) your Degree Works audit with the most up to date information available, if your information seems outdated. If you would like to preview how your new classes would apply to your Degree Works audit, you can use the “Look Ahead” tab.

One of my courses is under the "Insufficient" section, however the course grade has now changed to a letter grade. When will this update?

Grade changes will take 2-3 weeks from the time they are submitted to be entered into MyNortheast. Once this has been processed in MyNortheast, the change is available in Degree Works within 24 hours.

I have seen the '@' symbol in several places on my audit. What does that mean?

This is a ‘wild card’ in Degree Works programming. If the @ sign appears after a course prefix (i.e. PSYC @), it means you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in Psychology). Similarly,1@, represents anything at the 1000-level.

How do I apply for graduation?

You may apply for graduation, by the stated deadline, at our Graduation page. 

I have some questions about Degree Works, who can help me?

Write to us by email at We check our e-mail each day so we will respond to your request quickly and provide an accurate answer to your question.

Connect with Northeast State

Northeast State Community College, a Tennessee Board of Regents institution, is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. For questions or concerns, please contact the Affirmative Action Officer.